Maiken Cavling Arendrup
Prof Arendrup has authored around 200 publications in international journals and as book chapters. Her main research interests include the epidemiology, susceptibility, breakpoint development, diagnostics and treatment of fungal infections. Prof Arendrup was the founder of the Nordic Society of Medical Mycology (NSMM) and has been president since the formation of the society in 2003 til 2018. She is chair of the EUCAST Antifungal Susceptibility Testing Subcommittee Steering Committee, head of the EUCAST Development Laboratory for fungi, and an editor for Drug Resistance Updates.
Prizes and honors
She has received two research awards (Fritz Kauffman’s reward in 2003 and The Danish Society for Clinical Microbiology’s research award in 2010).
Dr. Arendrup is Professor at the Copenhagen University and part time at the University Hospital Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen and part time the Head of the Mycology Unit at Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, where she is responsible for the fungal laboratory, which receives routine and reference samples for culture, susceptibility testing, antigen- and antibody-detection, and PCR as well as for the national surveillance of invasive Candida and Aspergillus infections. She is responsible for the supervision of several PhD students.
Five recent or relevant publications as of November 2018 are listed below:
- Maiken Cavling Arendrup, Anuradha Chowdhary, Karen MT Astvad, and Karin Meinike Jørgensen. APX001A in vitro activity against contemporary blood isolates and C. auris determined by the EUCAST reference method. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Sep 24;62(10). pii: e01225-18.
- KMT Astvad, HK Johansen, BL Røder, FS Rosenvinge, JD Knudsen, L Lemming, HC Schønheyder, RK Hare, L Kristensen, L Nielsen, JB Gertsen, E Dzajic, M Pedersen, C Østergård, B Olesen, TS Søndergaard, and MC Arendrup. Update from a twelve-year nationwide fungaemia surveillance: increasing intrinsic and acquired resistance causes concern. J Clin Microbiol. 2018 Mar 26;56(4). pii: e01564-17.
- Maiken Cavling ARENDRUP, Thomas F Patterson. Multidrug-Resistant Candida: Epidemiology, Molecular Mechanisms, and Treatment. J Infect Dis. 2017: 216 (Suppl 3), S445-51.
- Maiken Cavling ARENDRUP, Paul E VERWEIJ, Johan W. MOUTON, Katrien LAGROU, Joseph MELETIADIS. Multi-centre validation of four well azole agar plates as a screening method for detection of clinically relevant azole resistant A. fumigatus. J Antimicr Chemother. 2017 Dec 1;72(12):3325-3333.
- Bart-Jan Kullberg and Maiken Cavling Arendrup. Invasive Candidiasis. N Engl J Med 2015;373:1445-1456