Through more than 20 years at the National Veterinary Institute, Technical University of Denmark and now SSI, I have worked with infectious disease immunology and development of vaccines to pigs and cattle. I have a special interest in tailored immune activation to induce local immunity at e.g. mucosal surfaces, and in activation of an appropriate T cell immune response to fight intracellular infections
I have also worked with application of pigs as a supplementary large animal model for improved understanding of human immunology and immune therapy in the field of cancer and killer T cell activity.
Executive Board Member of European Veterinary Immunology Group (EVIG) under European Federation of Immunological Societies (EFIS).
- Head of Section for Veterinary Vaccine Research, Department of Infectious Disease Immunology
- Christensen D, Polacek C, Sheward DJ, Hanke L, Moliner-Morro A, McInerney G, Murrell B, Hartmann KT, Jensen HE, Jungersen G, Illigen K, Isling LK, Jensen RF, Hansen JS, Rosenkrands I, Fernandez-Antunez C, Ramirez S, Follmann F, Bukh J, Pedersen GK. 2022. Protection against SARS-CoV-2 transmission by a parenteral prime—Intranasal boost vaccine strategy. eBioMedicine doi.org/10.1016/j.ebiom.2022.104248.
- Welner S, Ruggli N, Liniger M, Summerfield A, Larsen LE, Jungersen G. 2021. Reduced virus load in lungs of pigs challenged with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus after vaccination with virus replicon particles encoding conserved PRRSV cytotoxic T-cell epitopes. Vaccines, 9: 208. doi.org/10.3390/vaccines9030208.
- Overgaard NH, Principe DR, Schachtschneider KM, Jakobsen JT, Rund LA, Grippo PJ, Schook LB, Jungersen G. 2018. Genetically Induced Tumors in the Oncopig Model Invoke an Antitumor Immune Response Dominated by Cytotoxic CD8β+ T Cells and Differentiated γδ T Cells Alongside a Regulatory Response Mediated by FOXP3+ T Cells and Immunoregulatory Molecules. Frontiers in Immunology 9: 1301.
- Ugolini M, Gerhard J, Burkert S, Jensen KJ, Georg P, Ebner F, Volkers S, Thada S, Dieter K, Bauer L, Schäfer A, Helbig E, Opitz B, Kurth F, Sur S, Dittrich N, Latha GS, Blander JM, Benn C, Gruber U, Gruber A, Hutloff A, Hartmann S, Boekschoten M, Müller M, Jungersen G, Schumann R, Suttorp N, Sander LE. 2018. Recognition of microbial viability via TLR8 promotes T follicular helper cell differentiation and vaccine responses. Nature Immunology, 19: 386-396.
- Overgaard NH, Frøsig TM, Jakobsen JT, Buus S, Andersen MH, Jungersen G. 2017. Low antigen dose formulated in CAF09 adjuvant favours a cytotoxic T-cell response following intraperitoneal immunization in Göttingen minipigs. Vaccine, 35: 5629-36.
Complete list of publications: Gregers Jungersen's Bibliography