Afdeling for Infektionsimmunologi / Veterinær vaccine
Through more than 20 years at the National Veterinary Institute, Technical University of Denmark and now SSI, I have worked with veterinary infection immunology and development of vaccines to pigs and cattle. I have a special interest in tailored immune activation to induce local immunity at e.g. mucosal surfaces and in activation of an appropriate T cell immune response to fight intracellular infections.
I have also worked with application of pigs as a supplementary large animal model for improved understanding of human immunology and immune therapy in the field of cancer and killer T cell activity.
Currently elected Chair of European Veterinary Immunology Group (EVIG) under European Federation of Immunological Societies (EFIS).
- Head of Section for Veterinary Vaccine Research, Department of Infectious Disease Immunology
- Overgaard NH, Fan TM, Schachtschneider KM, Principe DR, Schook LB, Jungersen G. 2018. Of Mice, Dogs, Pigs, and Men: Choosing the Appropriate Model for Immuno-Oncology Research. ILAR Journal, 1-16.
- Overgaard NH, Principe DR, Schachtschneider KM, Jakobsen JT, Rund LA, Grippo PJ, Schook LB, Jungersen G. 2018. Genetically Induced Tumors in the Oncopig Model Invoke an Antitumor Immune Response Dominated by Cytotoxic CD8β+ T Cells and Differentiated γδ T Cells Alongside a Regulatory Response Mediated by FOXP3+ T Cells and Immunoregulatory Molecules. Frontiers in Immunology 9: 1301.
- Ugolini M, Gerhard J, Burkert S, Jensen KJ, Georg P, Ebner F, Volkers S, Thada S, Dieter K, Bauer L, Schäfer A, Helbig E, Opitz B, Kurth F, Sur S, Dittrich N, Latha GS, Blander JM, Benn C, Gruber U, Gruber A, Hutloff A, Hartmann S, Boekschoten M, Müller M, Jungersen G, Schumann R, Suttorp N, Sander LE. 2018. Recognition of microbial viability via TLR8 promotes T follicular helper cell differentiation and vaccine responses. Nature Immunology, 19: 386-396.
- Overgaard NH, Frøsig TM, Jakobsen JT, Buus S, Andersen MH, Jungersen G. 2017. Low antigen dose formulated in CAF09 adjuvant favours a cytotoxic T-cell response following intraperitoneal immunization in Göttingen minipigs. Vaccine, 35: 5629-36.
- Welner S, Nielsen M, Rasmussen M, Buus S, Jungersen G, Larsen LE. 2017. Prediction and in vitro verification of potential CTL epitopes conserved among PRRSV-2 strains. Immunogenetics, 69: 689-702.